Making the investment.


"Wow. You charge HOW MUCH to take pictures at a wedding?"

How many times has a photographer been asked that question? More times than you will EVER KNOW.  In the past couple of weeks I have been asked how I have come up with my pricing.  All business are different; so that means that prices are going to be different as well.  To each their own on how they found that PERFECT pricing guide to book more clients.  I have chosen a "different" approach to pricing.   

As a photographer, I already know the importance of photos and freezing memories. My approach is to educate each clients on it.  Be honest, (even i am guilty of it)  you saw a friend just had REALLY AWESOME portraits done with an awesome photographer in town and you contact said photographer about prices so that you can have crazy awesome photos too.  They message back and verbally punch you right in the face with a crazy price of 550 dollars. You realize that 550 dollars might be out of your price range so you HIT UP FACEBOOK for recommendations... your friends link you to Facebook pages of "reasonably priced" photographers in the area and you see a ton of awesome possible photographers you can book. 

BUT LET'S FACE IT.

It's not the photographer you wanted to book in the first place.  I feel its always the toughest to have to "settle" for second best.  

I might have a solution for you!

MAKE THE INVESTMENT!

Im not saying go out and spend your whole life savings on one portrait session. Nor am I bashing the photographers who only charge 75 dollars for 180 images burned to a disk. What I am trying to say is.....

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

If your photographer isn't asking questions... there might be a problem.
The moment a bride/client contacts me, I ask what they might be looking for in their images for their session/wedding.  This question from the get go will tell me if we are a great fit. I have a very dark/film-esque editing style as well as a relaxed posing style. ALL of my portraits are shot natural light.  If a client is asking me to shoot at night with a flash I might not be the photographer for her.  
I own a flash and know how to use it. Do I think that a flash fits with my style of shooting? NO. 
From there I can determine if I should send them a referral email/message OR if we can continue with the booking process.  

Build real + authentic relationships with your photographer... Tell them your story.  
On thing that sets me apart from a lot of the other photographers in my area is that I cater to every client to make them happy.  After my initial question when a client inquires, I ask them... "What is your budget?"
Once the budget question is up in the air, I will always make it a point to put a package together. I have my basic packages posted on my blog for basic sessions but my wedding packages are COMPLETELY CUSTOMIZABLE.  There hasn't been a bride that I haven't been able to help whether it be referring her to another photographer that can better accommodate her or create a package that fits the wedding in hand. After all the money talk is over, I make it a point to send a questionnaire to the client(s) to get to know them so that we have something to talk about on the session/wedding date.  There is nothing more awkward in trusting someone you can't have a conversation with to capture your precious moments.  I have made some of the best friends through shooting their weddings and booking them for portrait sessions. 

Understand that photographers can't make every session a charity session.
That's right! I get asked all the time... "Can you shoot my session for free and I will give you free advertising?" OR "If we were real friends, My session would be free of charge." 
I see a couple of things wrong with these statements.  
Number one being the MOST IMPORTANT:  Photographers have to run and operate a business just like any other business.  Would you go into dentist office and say, "If you clean my teeth for free... I'll tell everyone how awesome of a job you did." 
I don't think that anyone would and not look at you like you're crazy. Ha!
The same would apply to photographers currently in business.  We pay taxes and sell items just as any other NORMAL business would and photographers appreciate every client who appreciates their work enough to make the investment in their work.  But think about it.. you're not only investing in their work. You are investing in their livelihood, life, and passion.  It's actually pretty awesome in my eyes to be able to help a photographer write your story through images.
Number two: If you have to ask for the "homie hook-up," you probably aren't close enough with that particular photographer. 
BESIDES Thats just plain rude to ask your "friends" to do something like that with NO intentions of at least giving something in return whether it be a barter OR monetary.  


Long Story short.  Investing in a photographer isn't obligated.  Investing in a photographer that will take of you and connect with you on a personal level is.  Even if I am not the photographer for you, it is important to find the one that is.  Photography isn't a necessity. Its a boutique item.  It's not an everyday expense but it is something you can look at everyday for the rest of your life.  So why would you take your time to save and invest in something you really love and want?


No comments:

Post a Comment